Welcome to File Formats Wiki
248 articles since November 2008
Search tip: If you're searching for a file extension such as ".docx", type in just the extension, without the period, e.g. "docx".
A torrent file is required by a BitTorrent client to initiate file transfer using the BitTorrent protocol. It is written using bencoding, a syntax that can be used to store structures of data. (more...)
Huffman coding is an algorithm used in lossless data compression. Shown is one of the optimal Huffman trees constructed from the symbol frequencies of the string "SEASHELLS". Using this tree, the string can be encoded into a 17-bit long string: "011000001001101111".
Torrent file (torrent)
What's new on File Formats Wiki
- November 21, 2008
- The File Formats Wiki is created!
- June 30, 2009
- SMW is installed!
view all pages)Contents (
To write a new article, just enter the article title in the box below.
- Not sure where to start?
- Find out more about the wiki on the About page.
- If you are new to wikis, check out the tutorial, and see Help:Contents.
- Check out Help:Starting this wiki if you're setting up the wiki.
- Adding content
- Every wiki has two list of articles that need help called "Stubs" and "Wanted Articles". Don't be shy, get in there.
- Uploading images is another really easy way to help out - see the Special:Upload page!
- You can find a list of useful templates on Category:Templates, some of which are documented on the templates project page.
- Talk and more...